“What do you want for the holidays?”
It’s the question most every minimalist dreads. Not because we don’t appreciate the loving gesture. “What do you want for the holidays?” is a really tough question. We don’t want much. And we don’t want to say the first response that come to mind, “Please, don’t buy me anything!” (‘Cause then, we’ll be all sad when we don’t receive anything… or maybe that’s just me hahaha) So, in an effort to help minimalists and friends of minimalists, I have created:
5 Gift Ideas for the Minimalist in Your Life
- Gift Experiences: Who doesn’t love getting out the house for some excitement every now and then? By gifting the minimalist in your life with quality experiences, you are offering a good time and not cluttering up their limited space. Of course, spa packages, massages, and pedicures come to mind. But think beyond relaxation! Museum passes, performing arts center memberships, cooking classes, yoga sessions… what would the minimalist in your life love to do?
- Gift Scents: Ahhhh, there’s nothing like a good scent. Essential oils are always a wonderful idea. However, resist the urge to purchase a “collection.” While a bundle of essential oils might seem like a bargain, the minimalist in your life will likely smile… and immediately start stressing over finding a place for all those little bottles. Instead, pick one scent or blend for the minimalist in your life to enjoy. One of the blends that I’m gifting this year? Boost by Vitruvi.
- Disappearing Gifts: These are among of my favorite gifts! Think soaps and bath bombs, incense and palo santo (Woodlot is a personal fave!), a high-end olive oil or decadent truffle… there are so many disappearing goodies for the minimalist in your life to enjoy. Can’t decide? Bake fresh cookies. Problem solved. 🙂
- Gifts of Necessity: You can always opt for a gift card but be intentional! Everyone needs food, right? Gift cards to local grocery stores and fresh markets are always nice. And they allow the minimalist in your life to bring home their groceries a little at a time.
- Charitable Gifts: I saved the best for last! One of the best Christmas gifts I ever received was an email… from Heifer International. An attorney that I worked for gifted a $500 farm animal on my behalf! I learned that giving an animal is like giving someone a small business. Additionally, animal donations can provide families a hand up, increasing access to medicine, school, food and a sustainable livelihood. Farm animal gifts start at $20 (for flocks of ducks or chickens). You can also share the cost of some of the more expensive livestock. Other charitable ideas to gift on behalf of your minimalist? Support an individual or family business through Kiva. Give the gift of reading through organizations such as Books for Africa or First Book. And, of course, you can always consider supporting The Antiracism Center! *smile*
Do you have any other gift ideas for minimalists? Please share below!