In November 2013, I had the pleasure of meeting Kitiya King during the launch of her high-fashion, non-toxic nail lacquer brand, Mischo Beauty. Kitiya, a chemist and cosmetologist, and Mischo Beauty have been featured in ELLE, W, Vogue, and InStyle magazines (just to name a few.) Mischo Beauty assures that its formulation has always been 9 FREE, which means it contains no Formaldehyde, no Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP), no Toluene, no Formaldehyde Resin, no Camphor, no Ethyl Tosylamide, no Xylene,no Triphenyl Phosphate, and no parabens – all ingredients that have been known to contribute to cancer, birth defects, reproductive issues, nausea, light-headedness, headaches and more. I recently had a quick chat with Kitiya to discuss Mischo Beauty and her August 2017 relaunch.
1. It has been so wonderful watching Mischo Beauty grow into the powerhouse of toxin-free nail lacquers. What was your inspiration behind starting Mischo Beauty?
In 2011, while pregnant with my son, I was determined to find a nail formula that was as chic as it was healthy. But six long months later, my search left me less than impressed and what I found was toxic bland colors that chipped and cracked, and chunky lacquers that didn’t go on smoothly. So, I decided to take matters into my own hands and create what I was looking for!
2. One of my favorite colors from your Fall 2014 Brave is Beautiful collection is Run The World. What’s your process and inspiration behind naming your collections?
Yes – I love that shade on you! The process for naming the colors usually starts with determining the theme for that particular collection. Once I know the theme, I let inspiration lead me with determining the names of the shades.
3. Your son, Ian, is adorable and well on his way to becoming a successful model (you can follow him on IG at @ianfaith_ for a daily dose of cuteness.) So now you’re not only managing Mischo Beauty but his career as well! How do you find balance?
I’m not exactly sure I’ve found balance – or if I ever will. I feel so very blessed to be able to do all that I am doing at this moment. But I’ll keep it real and share that it is tough! I will say that I try to do my best and prioritize as much as I can – and I ask for help when I need it!
4. Mischo Beauty’s Fait Accompli nail lacquer was featured in the 2016 Tory Burch Foundation Seed Box, Tory’s hand-selected collection of diverse products made by women entrepreneurs. Congratulations! What an honor! What was it like being selected for such a highly-visible campaign?
It felt AMAZING! I must have screamed for about a week! Receiving recognition from such an amazing established woman in business felt absolutely incredible! It also reminded me of how important it is to reach back and lift others up. As I continue along this journey, I will do my best to help, encourage and inspire others.
5. That’s so wonderful! Alright, one last question – What can we look forward to in Mischo Beauty’s upcoming collection?
The new collection is truly a dream come true! We worked really hard on the new design, packaging and shades – and we hope everyone loves it as much as we do!
6. I cannot wait to see the shades in the next collection. Anything else you’d like to share?
The new collection launches in August! Sign up at www.mischobeauty.com to be the first to see the collection when it launches. Also, please be sure to follow us at @MischoBeauty on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest as we continue to share sneak peeks and other exciting updates!
Thank you so much, Kitiya!